Tuesday, January 17, 2006

More Fiji thoughts - a book on the way

When I came back from Fiji and started to write about my experience there I thought I could write about 2000 words on the topic. As you know it became an opus major that topped out at almost 17,000 words. When I mentioned my struggle with brevity to the poet Afaa Michael Weaver he said, “Your writers OCD kicked in.” He was right. I became obsessed with telling the complete story and now it’s done.

When I finished it I realized that it was too big to sell to a magazine and to short to count as a real book. It was also to long to post as a single blog entry so I split it up into chapters that almost stand-alone. I tried to post them all in reverse order so that they could be read in the right order. That failed so now you will have to scroll back and forth to read the blog in the right order.

That’s nuts, so I recreated the blog in book form. Yes you’ll be able to buy one from LuLu.com  (if you really want it) but for now you can download the PDF version at http://tinyurl.com/bwea8

It is 108 pages (12 mega-bytes) with a lot more pictures than I put in the blog. It even looks more like a book. I’ll post the URL for the printed version when I get one from Lulu.

No comments: